Here are some photos from some of my favourite day trips/holidays in Wales…. Mostly in the South, with a dip to the West!
I first moved back to South Wales in 2009 with a 6 year old son, and daughter approaching 5! We made the most of what was on our doorsteps, I do miss those days out. But as my teens told me so not so long ago, they are not kids anymore!
Since moving back, I have stumbled upon many different activities that I love. My favourite outing has to be a family friendly festivals. I’ve always loved music, and having small children made it quite challenging to head off to gigs etc. Then I discovered these festivals which are perfect for the whole family!
Festivals in Cardiff and the Vale
These are some of my favourite festivals that I attend annually, if they are on (except this year!).
- Depot in the Castle – I have been every year since its conception, back when it was Depot in the Park!
- Isle of Fire – Barry Island holds various festivals throughout summer and this was my favourite one!
- Tafwyl – A welsh festival usually held in Cardiff. I did not understand very much but it is definitely worth a visit.
- Llantwit Major Beer and Cider Festival – Usually organised by The Old Swan but usually all the pubs get involved and host various bands, guest ales/ciders, and family fun activities.
- Llanmaes Village Fete – Another local event. More community focused with stalls, family fun, live music, and The Blacksmith Arms usually run the beer/cider festival at the same time.
Days out for Active Children
I brought my children up to have limited screen time (they are certainly making up for that now they are 16 & 17!)… Finding days out that didn’t take much planning and that would tire them out was key.
Here are some of my favourite family days out:
- Llantwit Major Beach – or any beach truth be told. We are very much lovers of the outdoors, in particular the seaside. Even in winter we’d do beach walks. In summer we often had our ‘chippy tea by the sea’, and they loved their body boards which had a lot of use and abuse over the years.
- Margam Country Park – one of my favourite places to take them. There is so much to do; castle, lakes, walks, play parks, farm… And they often hold events such as battle re-enactment weekends, family activities, and outdoor cinema events. There is a small café there, but I always took a picnic with us. There is plenty of space to find a nice spot to sit down and eat.
- Cardiff Bay – There is so much to do for all the family. Eat, drink, walk, explore… The barrage walk is educational as well as fun. The Norwegian Church offers culture as well as cake and coffee, and there is usually something going on such as the Cardiff Food Festival, Cardiff Bay Beach, or random Lego exhibitions!
Where are your favourite places? If you’d like to explore more of what Wales has to offer, Visit Wales has plenty of choices to wet your appetite!
Thanks for reading, Fi xx